Monday, May 15, 2006

We Sang Dirges in the Dark

Aren’t we all glad music isn’t dead? There is nothing quite like rock music for digging at your soul and burying itself inside you. Haunting guitar riffs that wrap themselves around you and lyrics that tease out every bit of pain you have until all you know is melancholy. Show me a person who listens to music, especially rock, and I’ll show you a person who caries with them at least half a dozen phrases and melodies at any given moment. You know what I’m talking about, as you’re reading this how many words, how much music has floated to the surface of your consciousness? So what’s playing on your internal mp3 player right this instant?

For me it’s Nirvana’s cover of Bowie’s Man Who Sold the World. The riff in the beginning just about slays me, and then the lyrics are just… sigh.

We passed upon the stair, we spoke of was and when
Although I wasn’t there, he said I was his friend
Which came as some surprise I spoke into his eyes
I thought you died alone, a long long time ago

Oh no, not me
I never lost control
You’re face to face
With the man who sold the world

I laughed and shook his hand, and made my way back home
I searched for form and land, for years and years I roamed
I gazed a gazely stare at all the millions here
We must have died along, a long long time ago

Who knows? not me
We never lost control
You’re face to face
With the man who sold the world

Who knows? not me
We never lost control
You’re face to face
With the man who sold the world

And now I’m in the mood to live Bowie’s glam rock era, which is odd since that isn’t about that in my mind. I don’t know why but for me Bowie will always be about Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane. So much for his whole musical chameleon thing.

3 comments:

The Krispy Dixie said...

The first question made me think of ABBA's Thank you for the music!

Then, I kept reading and got to the part about the phrases and melodies going through your head. That is so true! At any given moment during the day, you can bet there's a song playing in my head! Its like my brain has turned into a veritable iPod! Its always shooting random songs into my consciousness!

So, here's the list of songs that went through my head as I read your post:

- ABBA (embarassing, but true!:P)

- Sweet Emotion; Aerosmith (From the part about guitar riffs)

- November Rain; Guns & Roses (I got there from the word 'slay', which took me to slash, which is how I ended up at G&R :P)

- Renegade; Styx (i don't know why.. this song has been on replay all day..)

- Chameleon; Boy George (from the musical chameleon reference)

However, it must be said that the words I find myself doodling whenever i'm on the phone or day dreaming are the following:

Anger! and he smiles towering in shiny metallic purple armor..
Queen jealousy, envy waits behind him, her fiery green gown sneers at the grassy ground..
Blue are the life giving waters, taken for granted
the climate understands
Once happy turquoise army's waiting opposite and ready,
but wonder why the fight is on..


Bold As Love; Jimmy Hendrix

*sigh*

Anonymous said...

Now and Always ....
Nirvana's Smells like a teen spirit...
and Nirvana's Rape me

The Krispy Dixie said...

wut happened to my comment....? :/