Sunday, May 14, 2006

The Future is Bright

Bright and shiny, plastic and bland, it seems to me the older these books of the future are, the more accurate they seem. Heralds of dead men's fears coming true. As humanity turns away from spirituality into materialism what will become of us? Less people do any real thinking, and more regurgitate the facts they've been spoon-fed. In our lecture halls discussion is giving away to repetition. Mindlessly we look to others for behavioral cues, until we become lemmings. Books gather dust on shelves as imaginations are stunted my bright sounds and loud colors. My friends, we as a people stand as at a crossroad. These are the days that will set our course as a nation. We have three paths ahead of us, one (the less likely of the three I'm afraid) is of a revolutionary type, where a flawed system will be uprooted and one of fairness is implemented, the second is less steep, it is of dialogue and compromise, where we sit at tables with those we disagree with and come to middle grounds and transitional solutions, the third is slippery slope into an abyss of totalitarianism and suppression of the people's will. So let your voice be heard. Believe in something. Care. Be an active member of this society. Know this, you are a citizen, and your rights are also responsibilities. Love this country.

And away from the current situation, make a human connection today; find out something new about your coworker. Look at something from a different point of view; give a chance to the other opinion. Touch someone's life with kindness, allow nature to touch you. Embrace diversity. Step away from the faceless masses, and make some waves; your boat might be better for rocking. I want to do something that scares me, on a personal level. I want to make a new friend. I want to get someone to read a book. I want, I want, I want so many things. I want my being in this world to make a difference, if only to one person. I don't mean that I think I don't matter, I mean I want to help someone grow. Just a thought. Done being preachy. Here's a little something. Somewhat off topic, but still... future.

I look within its murky depths
The scrying glass is broke I think
I will not give credence to the thought
Of a future full of shadow and smoke
I do not plan for a career in the law
I have no interest in politics
I will not give the news reports
No thoughts of being a businessman
I pause and give it a second thought
Maybe the soothsayer does not lie
I know I do all the time

No comments: