Saturday, May 13, 2006

Summer Lovin' Had me a Blast

As a child, I cherished the beginning of summer. Those were the days that saw school going out with a bang of trips to water parks and end of the year parties, playing heads up seven up despite our faces being feverish with sunburn. Looking forward to months of freedom stretched out before us until they appear seemingly endless. Our eyes bright with excitement and our faces already tan from numerous weekends at the beach, nothing was more beautiful. This is a little something for those lost days.

Rosy cheeks and sticky fingers
Squinting under the afternoon sun
Relief bought from the bicycle man
As my rescue arrives, not on time
Burning fingertips on the window glass
Fighting over gold-wrapped vanilla
And flavored water like a traffic light
In this cone lives my childhood

But gone are those days of joyful innocence. Instead I fall to pieces as I watch the house of cards I’ve been carelessly building all semester tremble under the heralding breeze of due dates. With nothing to look forward to but the paltry days before summer term begins, I have no patience for the oppressive weather.

The heat is a clumsy seductress
Unwanted, she clings to my body
Pours herself into every crack
Saturating my pores
Suffocating my breath
Her affections trickle
Down the length of my back
Then pool
At the base of my spine
Vestiges of her cling to me still
As I am embraced by the cool indoors

3 comments:

The Krispy Dixie said...

summer has both good and bad connotations in my mind... good being when I leave the country for a few months.. bad being when I had to stay here, ESPECIALLY for a summer course! I feel for you :) all I can say is try to stay positive, indulge urself in a few good books and realize that this (summer), too, shall pass. :)

Entrepreneur said...

love the way the words dance across the page

my summer spells a slavish dedication to my future. im a whore to the future. hooked on shaping its direction, im a junky for tomorrows, of all shapes and sizes

Im still alive, so i believe i must be an optimist under the omnipresent pessimism that keeps me grounded.

Fuck, I had a pefect childhood

SnoCone said...

krispy dixie I have a bit of a dickenesque view of all seasons, feeling that each current season is both the best and worst of times. It comes I believe of having the attention span of a gnat and the memory of a goldfish. It allows me to live from moment to moment, which is both a blessing and a curse. Simultaneously I'll think Summer is the best thing evar, and that I've never detested a season more. Books are of course my saviors and my raison d'etre.

entrepreneur A lovely description that I shall treasure (sotto voce)as I choose to believe that you're not referring to exhaustion or an acid trip.(/sotto voce)

Ah, for the lazy days of childhood, when one wasn't constantly pushing to be something and we simply were. I am n00b I know, but adulthood is a bitch.