Thursday, May 18, 2006

Men of Wealth and Taste

So have you guessed the nature of their game? Nice to meet you Messieurs Major Players, but I have no sympathy for your plight. The power given to you by the people’s apathy and reluctance to speak has absolutely corrupted you. No more. No more will we stand idly by as you steamroll the voices of dissent in your race to milk the moment for all it has. That moment’s overlong life has ended.

Of course right now, the whole thing is less a movement and more of a stirring, but the peoples slumber has been disturbed. Let us hope that this is the herald of an awakening, and not again the dragon turning over before it goes back to sleep. To be sure, we don’t want the bag of tricks that’s been recently entertaining European parlors, more show than substance.

We have no desire for overturnings and new slates. We’re not gunning for a second verse because that usually winds up sounding same as the first. Our needs are very simple, though many will protest difficult to achieve. That’s fine, as we prefer long hauls to quick rides anyway. After all, government is a process and we understand that. But through said process, the Powers That Be should operate with transparency, accountability, and efficiency to name a few. Really, is that too much to ask?

So let these gentlemen obfuscate and drag their feet. They can hem and haw and paint big pictures with grandiose words. They just shouldn’t expect us to grin and bear it any more. I hope.

Note: Three guesses as to the inspiration behind the lead in, and the first two don’t count.

And completely unrelated, I give you this.

You brush your hand against my shoulder
Guiding me as you point my way
Of the touch I sure you’re unaware
Yet it lingers there for days
Ghosts of fingers haunt my mind
Every time I meet your gaze
In your eyes I see bemusement
Over my blush and stumbling words
Weren’t we friends just yesterday?
I want to tell but do not dare
The truth burns a hole in me
As does the skin right there

No comments: