Monday, May 29, 2006

Maybe I Didn’t Know Him At All


Nine years ago, when Jeff Buckley met his death in a river in Memphis, I was still a child. Years later I was in Paris and bought Live at L’Olympia, for a friend. When I gave it to her I listened and smiled and nodded my head, but walked away unaffected. In my defense, at the time I was somewhat a fool. Not quite as smart as my friend, it took me a while to develop discerning taste. I did however eventually, one could say inevitably, fall in love with that heart wrenching expressive crazy-ass voice. And just like Bowie’s immortalized Ziggy… ‘boy could he play guitar’. And while Hallelujah is good and well, it’s songs like Lover You Should Have Come Over that really tear me to pieces.

So I post this, in tribute, in memorandum, for love, of the beautiful Jeff. I shed a tear for all of the fucking potential lost in that river. Whether by accident or his own design, the entertainment industry is missing something I believe could have been truly worthwhile. My heart truly aches as I bid him a sincere if not last goodbye.

By the way, I’d like to upload a few mp3s for anyone who’s interested, but I’m not going to go through the hassle and then have it be for naught. If I see any expression of interest I will, otherwise, there isn’t a point.

To match the melancholy, I give you this.

Beloved temptress
Your sweet seductions
Give rise to my bile
You are my breath
And the blade by which I die
My devotion to you
Is equaled only
By my revulsion
Love and loathing live
In a land with no lines

8 comments:

The Krispy Dixie said...

how come ur not approving the comments?? :s

I like Jeff too... I think his voice is so melancholy... I still like hallelujah the best ...

G.C.C.United said...

you have a beatiful and a strong talent in writing ur peom and thpughts in English ... know that i support that talents and hopefully one day waiting to read a novel wrotten by ur self.


G.C.C Unted

kwtia said...

Keep writing, Keep writing..
Beautiful stuff. It's like feasting, to pass by this blog.
If i didn't have all his songs I would say put up some samples.

kwtia said...

Keep writing, keep writing..Beatiful things. It's like a feast for us passing through here.

kwtia said...

I keep trying to comment and it never shows up...here I go again hoping blogger will let me through today..
Just want to say, keep writing..it's beautiful and passing through here is like feasting...
That's about the fourth time I try to write that. Goes to show you how true it is.
And, if I didn't have all his music already I would express interest in the mp3s..

Life in a Dust Storm said...

Hey thanks for making time to visit and comment. The world is now not so lonely! Thanks too for Jeff Buckley, don't know him, but will listen, on your recommendation. Don't you like Pink Floyd? Everyone should. Timeless and wonderful. Ray Lamontagne is worth giving an ear,'Trouble' all good but 'Jolene' special.

kaal boishakhi said...

he wouldve had my seal of approval even without cohens.

the beautiful ones. never heard that much soul in a few mere octave staccattos.

been hooked to him since ten...
grace plays and i submerge under the water and for a little while all is silent as you writhe almost in joy for his drowned aching heart. the one that was still beating before it went bad with water.

god i need some scotch now.

perhaps you should listen to the original hallelujah.
rufus wainwright did a horrible version and needs to be sent off to the glue factory.

Anonymous said...

Я простой невыносимо здорово переживала и хотела, для прежде узаконили отношения, а после уж дети, однако он решил по своему и бросил. Это уму не постижимо просто. Ровно пережить предательство? Сейчас я беременна, не могу бросить курить, корю себя после это, живу с адом в душе и не знаю, начинать сообразно легкому пути аборта или... [url=http://profvesti.ru/o-stroitelstve-svoimi-rukami.html]строительный портал казахстана[/url]