Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Knock Knock Knocking on a Different Door

In the core of my being there is a longing, nay, a need, to be a writer. This desire is one of my psyche’s defining qualities. My attempts have been exclusively in prose since we shall never speak of my being sixteen and the emo doggerel through which I chose to share my ‘suffering’ with the world. Now even though these musings, stream of consciousness bits, and pieces of fiction are admittedly mediocre, I do have a lot of affection for them. So when a lost and annoyingly insistent poet's muse attached herself to me I was little thrown. Despite my initial resistance I soon gave in, and since it’s in my nature to overshare I’d though I’d let you sample a little of the result.

every time she opens her mouth
pretty baubles fall from her lips
people around her coo with delight
follow her and hoard the words
this is no indicator of value
some people collect snow globes

And on a slightly less obsessive note…

My eyes have had their fill of you
Sight on whole is unsatisfying fare
I would draw a map of you with my fingers
Paint your portrait, my tongue for a brush
My lips long for the insides of your wrists
The backs of your knees call to me
As does that dip between your shoulder blades
Do not deny me the curve of your jaw
Or the juxtaposition of neck and collarbone

3 comments:

Your Battlefield said...

mashallah on your talent damn you have gotten me addict to your words am loving every word in this post...again i say mashallah you better write a book....put all your beautiful truthful words down on print and let others read the talent that exists in you...:)

The Krispy Dixie said...

I like the second one.. reminds me of a piece I wrote in college about a guy that I was obsessed about... correction: it was his body that I was obsessed with...

College... I did some of my best writing in college... There's something about the bleak, lifeless atmosphere of Kuwait University that sparked creativity.. Almost as if my soul were trying to compensate for the gray matter that surrounded me by providing me with ample inspiration....

SnoCone said...

battlefield Thanks a ton, I appreciate your compliment. I'm not sure I'd claim as much talent as you're giving me because I drift through so many writing comms that I live in the shadow of giants, but thanks. :)

krispy dixie I have to admit that I let out a little squeal when I saw your name. I stumbled onto your blog as I browsed the Kuwaiti blogs this past week. Yours is one of the ones I didn't comment on, not because I didn't like what I read, but because for me giving feedback to fiction is so much bigger than random comments. This leaves me hesitant. Also, yes bodies are beautiful and inspiration for much material. It's not love, it's want. I always find myself entranced by a pair of hands, a mouth, or the slope of someone's neck. And to your KU comment, WORD.